RE: One more thing on Details...

James wrote: >>The only other alternative that I can see is to ditch the
Contest portion of
the event altogether, at least for this year. The Showcase has no need for
"rules" or even many "guidelines" - we display what people send us, end of
story. If its simple you want.....<<

Ken writes: Let's not throw any babies out with the bath water here. To me,
the flurry of recent postings is nothing more than members tossing things up
it air, pontificating, thinking out loud, musing, etc. Although we are still
clearly in the brain-storming phase, I believe we are getting very close to
the "cutting bait" phase now (I promise no more lame cliches). Let's get on
with finalizing what we have been working on for the last month or so. We
really are closer than some may think.

Heck, if we had five judges right now, I believe I know enough about what we
are looking for to advise them how to come up with winners in the different
categories. We could very easily nit pick this thing to death and I know
that a lot of us have put a great deal of time into this effort to bail now.
I suggest that we get on with the proposal to the AGA MC, which I think
James has been working on.  I really do think we have enough for them to
decide one way or another (Karen, are we there yet?). The rest of this stuff
will fall into place once we find out if we have a sponsor. If the AGA
doesn't go along with it, there is not a whole lot more pontificating that
needs to be done and we can all get back to formulating new and better PMDD
concoctions.

Basically we are asking people to submit photos of their aquascapes. We are
going to have a set of judges to make decisions on which aquascapes they
think are the best. Afterwards, most (if not all) will be available via the
web and/or CD-ROM. Prizes maybe given and entry fees may be charged (up to
the AGA). Ya know, that's just about it.

All of the other stuff has pretty much been decided by majority (with some
dissension). If or when we get AGA approval, we could also have a steering
committee of maybe five people from this list who will make final decisions
about possible fakes, what instructions the judges will be given, how many
check boxes, etc. Erik can live with, how many photos, what views,
processing, so forth and so on.

I think we are ready for the next step - that cutting bait thing I was
talking about.

Ken Guin
Arlington, VA