Re: Kinder, Gentler.....

I hadn't even _realized_ that today was the 13th! duhhhhh..... I've got to
get away from this computer more.....

Eric wrote:

"I also even think I agree with the ranking algorithm (Karen's, right?);
initially it just "felt fishy", so I ran through some different scenarios
in my head... figured out they're all essentially the same thing: average
rank.  I like how it essentially normalizes everyone's scoring approach."

Apparenly (as I read her posting and the follow-up) Karen assumed that this
was the way I would do it. duhhhhh, again.

But once I looked at it, her scheme really does do away with any variation
or "point bias" which individual judges may inject into their scoring. What
we really are concerned with is the ranking anyway, so rather than working
the ranking from the aggregate scores of each indivual entry, we look at how
each judge ranks the entries in each category. The ranking becomes the
essential thing, not the numerical or percentage point score each entry
receives. In cases of a tie, we can either choose to award the tie or send
them back to the judges for a "run-off".

B.T.W., I assume that there would be no problem with another (closed)
majordomo list being set up for the Judges?