Prizes and such

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> C. We have to discuss entrance fees and
>
> D. Costs.
>
> They are all pretty much tied together in some ways, so here's how I suggest
> we proceed alphabetically.

All cool, except that I'd suggest talking about costs before fees.

Moving to A, prizes:

I agree we can probably get some great manufacturer donations for this.
And in some cases we might be able to make the prize fit the category (for
instance, one of those bow-front Marineland System 6 tanks for the
micro-tank category).

Didn't see Sera on the list.  Around here they are quite happy to donate
stuff to our auctions.

Another idea: how about the growers!  Florida Aquatic Nurseries (a long
shot), Arizona Aquatic Gardens, etc.

And don't forget the one-man operations, like Dave Gomberg & Karl
Schoeller.  Lots of possibilities here.

My suggestion would be for one person on the "committee" that is emerging
here be designated the "manufacturer contact", send out letters requesting
donations and offering the free publicity of the website links.  They
could also be the point of collection and redistribution of the prizes.
For this, the person should be someone who does well schmoozing with
industry reps and has a large garage for storage.  (This could be also
split into two positions.)

Another source is direct sponsorship of categories.  This gets done a lot
with fish shows.. ("Best Java Fern is sponsored by Joe's Bail Bonds of
Dallas, TX").  We could offer sponsorships on the contest web site.

Now I *suspect* that manufacturers would be delighted to do this, but we
will need a backup plan if they don't.  Perhaps we can budget for
trophies, certificates and plaques, and the awards get announced as we
hear from the sponsors?

OK, that's enough from me for today. :)