From: James Purchase
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 1999 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: Prizes and promotion

"...Yes, we _could_ get only 15 entrants. But we could just as easily get
150, or 1500. How well it goes over depends entirely on how professionally
it gets promoted...We shall have plenty of time to get our act together
regarding promotion.

"One reason (perhaps) why a lot of "other" shows didn't get a bigger
reception was the fact that either the organizers "thought small" or weren't
very skilled in promotion. They also didn't take place in a venue which is
accessible to as many people from as wide a geographical area..."

-----
Rightly so, he hinges our success on the ability to promote the program.
Audience exposure is certainly of prime importance (and well underway with
the formation of the contact lists), but so is overall appeal. We need at
least *two* things that will separate us from those "other" shows. And how
we *promote* the event might be shaped at least in part by how we *present*
the event.

Part of that presentation is the organizing committee and its sponsors - the
"who" behind the contest and showcase. What is it about *our* contest that
makes us different than those "other" shows? What are the advantages of
entering the AGA's contest in favor of, say, one sponsored by the GSAS or
GMAS? Who is the AGA, anyway (hold yer tongues, gals 'n guys - I'm a-gittin'
to it)? In essence, we'll be promoting our sponsor with as much fervor as
the event itself, and it is the AGA's sponsorship as well as the (hopefully)
international flavor of the judging panel that gives us an edge.

Prestige is the name of the game here, no doubt about it. We've stated over
and over that we're giving the "common" gardener the chance to pit their
talents and techniques against the "world's best". That's a helluva set of
"braggin' rights" in a lot of people's books, and one that can be used to
our advantage. If we push the prestige we'll find it less of a necessity to
*bribe* an entrant with equipment.

Picture it - you're in the living room with a couple of friends,
illustrating some of the finer points of aquascaping with your tank, when
one of them happens to ask, "Hey, that's a pretty neat Eheim setup you got
there."

"Yeah," you flip back, "I got that for beating Neal Frank at his own game."

"Uh huh - that and a couple'a hundred bucks'll get you another one, too."

Ah, but that plaque from the AGA that's hanging on the wall *beside* the
tank - that's another story!

Karen's ribbon suggestion is a good starting point.