Re: Limits & Costs

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> "Related Question: Should we be capping the number of individual entries?
> I can't remember if we've talked about it already, but is there a problem
> if one guy enters 10 tanks?  That would certainly creep us up to our limit
> more quickly."
>
> James replies:
> Last question first - very good point! I hadn't really considered limits
> when I put that in - it was something which had been discussed way back - if
> we have an entrance fee, perhaps we have a price break on multiple entries
> and rig them in such a manner that joining the AGA becomes a definate
> advantage.
>
> But I have no problem with limiting the number of entries an individual can
> make - what do you suggest, one, two, three? I suspect that most people
> would only enter one tank but we might get some people who have several very
> nice tanks.

OK, here's my line of thinking where we could get in trouble:  "Hey, I've
got a fishroom of 25 tanks. They're not the greatest examples of
aquascaping in the world, but hey--free contest! I can just zap off a
roll of prints and enter all 25.  One of them might just win by sheer
volume!"

Basically, I'd like to not have to look through entry after entry of minor
variations on the same sort of tank from the same person.  I'd like people
to think about what they're doing and enter their best stuff.  It's
similar to the phenomenon of digital cameras and "free film" allowing one
to take thousands of nearly identical pictures when really one or two will
suffice.

My feeling is that we should either charge an entry fee (however nominal)
or put a cap on entries per person, just to keep this sort of thing in
line.  In this case, the entry fee's primary purpose is of
"commitment" rather than financial use.

If this seems too limiting, perhaps another possibility is limiting the
number of entries PER CATEGORY PER PERSON.