Re: Size, costs, and fees....[Very opinionated]

Dave V. writes, regarding Dave E.'s comments:
About the fee in general, I agree with Erik here (I think?  It's difficult
to keep track).  The fee is a way of making sure that people are serious
about entering and are serious about the tank they are entering.  I don't
want to see a picture of an empty tank entitled "Space, the final
aquascaping frontier."  If I do see it, I want to know the person was
serious about the joke (i.e. they paid).

About the sponsorship, I've been under the impression almost the entire time
here that the AGA isn't going to want us as much as we want the AGA.  I have
no problem with that because I am interested in the contest and the hobby
succeeding, not just the AGA.  There was a suggestion right from the start
(probably from yours truly, I don't remember) to ditch any kind of
sponsorship and do this ourselves.  But then where is the publicity?  Where
is the prestige?  Where are the startup funds?  I think comparing the AGA to
ADA is like comparing apples to oranges (don't kill me on this one, I know
that I'm inferring an indirect comparison simply because you made an
arbitrary, alternative sponsorship suggestion).  The AGA is applying for
non-profit status, apparently.  ADA is a for-profit company (corporation?).
If Mr. Amano wants to do something like this, he will do it himself (or have
his minions do it <g>), he won't want to rely on a rag-tag bunch like us
(whoa! nobody get offended there! just a joke! well, okay, I guess we're a
little bit rag-tag <g>).  I guess I've warmed to the fact that the AGA is a
good candidate for a sponsor, in my opinion.

As for the $5 figure.  Well, I don't think that's a lot of money, but I
don't know how that will be received in other countries.  Although this is
an international event, we should consider our target audience which is
probably going to consist primarily of 1st and 2nd tier, industrialized
nations.  However, if it breaks down like this:

$50 for posters (sorry, couldn't resist)
$20 for judge's CDs
$200 for ribbons
$80 for certificates
$50 for shipping (probably not an accurate figure, I know)
and no certificates of participation in this case
(note that I have left out prizes and the CD selling venture here as those
will, theoretically, pay for themselves)

I think the AGA may be able to cover the costs.  ($400)

Take away the posters, limit the number of "honorable mention" certificates
that the judges can award, and get definite numbers on the ribbons and
certificates ... it seems workable.  The problem I have here, and I may be
thinking like someone of relative affluence compared with a third-world
nation, is that anything less than $5 is somewhat of a nuisance.  It would
cost almost as much for the money order as it would for the fee.  Okay,
okay, so you're saying waive the fee.  I don't see that working for the AGA
or any organization.  These are untested waters (no pun intended).  The AGA
(or whomever, pretend it's you or me) is running the risk of ponying up four
or five hundred bucks with the HOPES that they will make it back in either
entrance fees, new memberships, or both.  But there are no guarantees!  20
entries (also not an impossible number seeing as how you, Dave Engle, may
not even enter) at $5 will only just cover one quarter of the estimate I've
given.  The AGA will have to eat the rest.  So there are risks, and we
should be sensitive to that, and try to curb those risks as much as
possible.

Okay, 'nuff said.  Guess I'm being opinionated here, too.  I think $5 (US)
is a resonable figure for an entrance fee.  We could knock $2 or so off for
a second entry from the same household, but that's about it, IMHO.

Man, I've gotta get away from my computer more often. :-)

Dave VanderWall
Minneapolis, MN