RE: Back to basics

James:

I see no problem with doing it the way you have suggested.  If we make sure
all of the AGA members are covered via TAG, and we get the word out to as
many aquatic-type companies and the aquarium societies via the Internet, I
think we will have a decent base to work with. If we can get a magazine or
two to plug the event, I think we will have covered most of the bases.

I hope we will soon have a website to direct people to and a letter approved
that we can start sending to the companies and societies before too much
longer. I would also like to see some sort of brochure (as has been
discussed) on the website that can be printed out (maybe a PDF) for the
societies/LFS/companies to distribute for us.

BTW, I am wondering how the publicity volunteers are coming along with the
societies in their states (David V. has anyone provided you with a list
yet?). I am well on my way to completing my list, but I want to scourer the
Net a couple more times for the couple of societies that might still be
hidden away. I contacted FAAS to ask for an updated list. I heard back from
them, but I think they are still thinking about whether to release it to me.
I know they have a list on their website, but a lot of the email addresses
are out of date.

As far as who can enter this event, I have never liked the idea of limiting
the number of contestants to a specified number. I know that some of the
best entries would probably come rolling in shortly after we hit the magical
limit. Besides, I am not sure I have ever heard of a contest that limited
the number of entries - cut-off dates, yes - but not the number of entries.
I know I have never entered any with such a limit.

I also think we should set an entry fee of $5.00 an entry whether they are
an AGA member, or not (I am a member, so I think I can be fair in suggesting
this). Besides, who was going to coordinate finding out whether the entrants
were AGA members at the time their entry was submitted. I believe the new
membership volunteers are just getting reorganized. Us asking them to check
maybe five hundred entry names with the membership rolls might not be so
easy. If we want to keep it simple, make it a $5.00 entry fee for each
person. This would also tend to limit the number of entries. Heck, if a $15
membership fee for the AGA is too much for some people, then $5 might be
just right to prevent us from being spammed by hundreds of "free" entries.
Since we are not going to be making a profit from this venture, I have no
problem with charging $5 for each entry to defray costs.  BTW, I would
suggest that the entry form state that any residual funds will be turned
over to the AGA for financing future events similar to this one.

So my vote, at this juncture, is to go with what we originally decided to do
(via the Internet) and see what happens.

Regards,

Ken Guin
Arlington, VA