Back to basics

Quite some time ago, Erik suggested that we draw up a list of "first
principles" which would help keep us focused and on track. I have spent
quite a bit of time lately going over those "first prinicples" and the
earliest discussions concerning this project. I have to admit, that we are
straying off track and unless we veer back, we run the risk of getting
nothing done.

As originally envisioned, this was an Internet-Only event. Once we explored
the AGA sponsorship idea it had to be broadened to allow for and include
those AGA members who do not have Internet access. Contacting the membership
of the AGA who are not Internet accessible would cost nothing as a notice in
TAG would suffice.

The idea of broadening our focus to include people who are NOT members of
the AGA runs into trouble when you consider that there are a lot of
aquarists who are not Internet aware or capable. Contacting THESE people is
where (it seems to me) complications come in and costs escalate. Contacting
a few magazines via their e-mail addresses, does not add to either costs or
complications and should suffice to get in touch with those who do not have
Internet access.

The issue of "fairness" doesn't really enter into this suggestion (i.e. I
don't feel that we are being "unfair" to the non-internet, non-aga, general
public. If they read the major hobbyist magazines and/or belong to a club or
group which has a "reachable" web presence, then they should know about
this.) But it should certainly cut down on any angst among ourselves over
how to spread our already thin resources.

Note that I am NOT suggesting that this means limiting the event to the AGA
membership. I am suggesting that we return our focus to the Internet, where
it began. We can still make use of "contact lists" of clubs and companies,
but these will be for e-mail contact informing people of the contest, not as
a mailing list to send out information via snail mail.

I suggest that we return to the initial idea - scrapping any ideas about
sending out posters or letters - in short, if we can't contact them by
e-mail, we forget about them, at least for this initial year. If we are
going to have to limit the number of entries to a reasonable limit that both
Erik and the judges are going to be able to handle I think that this is not
too much of a hardship or hinderance.

We can still have a package of material available on the web-site which
either clubs or individuals can print out and distribute but this
distribution would be at their cost, not the contest's cost.

If we have an upper limit on entries, it might be wise to not allow more
than three aquascapes from any one individual and forego any "price cuts" on
the entry fee, given the upper limit imposed on total entries. We want as
many different individuals as possible to enter, not necessarily a large
number of multiple entries from a smaller number of aquarists. If we can
limit the costs enough without hurting our core values, we might just end up
with no entry fees required. However, if there _were_ no entrance fees, then
it would probably make sense to limit entries to one per person.

In the "core values" listed on the web-site and in the early discussions we
had, a lot of emphasis was placed on this being "user friendly" and
non-competative. We could probably acomplish our goal in this as well as cut
costs by scrapping any notion of "real" prizes as well as ribbons.
"Certificates" printed via a Color Inkjet printer on high quality paper
should suffice and, if sent out in small mailing tubes, would be an
economical and to me at least a reasonable alternative. If we _really_
wanted to we could still consider a "prize" for "Best of Show", but that's
an "iffy". The cost for this would be reduced to the price of a fresh set of
ink cartridges, a few packages of the high quality paper required to produce
top quality results, the mailing tubes and the postage. No more worrying
over wrinkled ribbons or prizes damaged in the mail. They _should_ be
suitable for framing, but the cost and bother of framing would be left up to
the winner.

Make sense?