Re: Missing Things...

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> _I_ selected the lower figure (300) but I'm
> open to Erik adjusting that upwards if he feels that he can handle it - but
> I'm _only_ open to Erik adjusting it. After all, he is the one who is going
> to have to do the work dealing with the images and the scanning.

I agree with this; let us say a limit of 300 to cover our butts, but if
that really happens, and there are enough volunteers (AND JUDGES!), the
limit might be adjusted upwards if it becomes possible and necessary.

10K of stuff deleted on real vs. virtual prizes.  I will attempt to
summarize James' points:

  1. It's going to be tough to find volunteers to help wrangle the prizes.
     If we can't find a volunteer, no prizes.
  2. Logistics (including interacting with the companies, shipping costs,
     etc) may be really tough.
  3. If we have limited entries (and thus limited fees), we can't cover
     cost of mailing.
  4. Maybe if we limit the number of prizes, it's not such a monumental
     task.  Same thing with using smaller prizes, such as magazine
     subscriptions.
  5. Karen says the AGA wants all accounting dealt with up front.
     She also feels a budget of $1000 may be too much.
  6. Ribbons and certificates are easier to manage, and can be replaced
     if damaged.
  7. We need to know the prizes in advance before publicising the contest.

> But someone is going to have to come forward with an WORKABLE idea or
> alternative or we will have to go with ribbons.

So... how about this:

"Someone" volunteers to write letters to the manufacturers of which we're
already getting a list together. Not difficult, I think.  Most of those
companies are used to dealing with aquarium societies in regards to their
annual auctions, so it's a simple matter of writing a letter, perhaps even
a form letter, asking if they can support us with a donation of a single
prize, such as a book, subscription or filter.

We stick with one prize per category.  Optionally allow them to choose
which category they'd prefer to sponsor.  Suggest in the letter that a
light items, such as good books, gift certificates or magazine
subscriptions are preferred, and make a suggestion of retail price range
($15-40 ?).

I suggest the volunteer collects items and then retransmits them to the
winners at the end of the contest.

On costs, let's say there are 15 categories, and there's a maximum
shipping on each of $20.  That's $300.  Means we need to get 60 entries to
cover this at $5 entry fee, or 4 entries per category.  Typically, I think
it would be cheaper if we get books, gift certificates or magazine
subscriptions, then the postage will be quite less.  If we don't have this
many entries, we should probably be combining categories anyway.

I think it's possible we can do this *and* certificates or ribbons for
1st, 2nd and 3rd place.  I think at a minimum, we should send ribbons if
we award nothing else.  I also do not beleive we have to know what the
donated prizes are in advance of the contest.  (Note that most fish shows
don't announce what the awards are in advance.)

Anyway, that's my opinion.  I don't think this needs to be very difficult.
But I agree with James that if we don't get a volunteer to coordinate the
prizes and/or ribbons, it's all moot.