Ribbons (fwd)

More notes from the first show expert ("yellow=third"), after hearing of
what I learned from the other show expert ("white=third")... clearly, this
is way out of my league.  Just tell me what color the web site should be.

I decided to call Hodges and ask them about this ribbon color nonsense.
(they have an 800 number  printed on the back of every ribbon, and Oliver's
summer's haul is still hanging on the kitchen curtain rod) They told me
that the _standard_ colors for Aquarium competitions in the U.S. are the
same as for horse shows through 4th place. (they do change after that, but
few clubs place more than 4 entries any way)   She said there _are_ a few
clubs that do reverse 3rd and 4th so that 3rd becomes white, but they are
in the minority.

Also, while I had her on the phone, I checked with her about how rosette
type ribbons should be mailed, as I've _always_ received them with the
streamers wound loosely around the rosette in a padded envelope of
appropriate size.  I can't even imagine how James thinks he's going to fit
one into a mailing tube, let alone how he'll keep it stable in there.  She
told me that they (the "ribbon experts<g>) send them using the padded
envelop method.  I think they'll find that envelopes are a whole lot less
expensive than mailing tubes too.

Finally, The three color rosette/ribbons mentioned are championship
ribbons, and certainly would be appropriate for BOS, etc.  The "standard"
colors here are:

BRY (center streamer blue) for Champion
RYW (center streamer red) for Reserve Champion

For interest's sake she told me that the "standard" colors through 6th for
aquarium shows as opposed to horse shows are:

1st - blue
2nd - red
3rd - yellow
4th - white
5th - green
6th - maroon

(I don't think I've ever even seen a maroon ribbon!<g>)"