eeewwww! <g>

Erik,

No need to think that your earlier posting was "grouchy" - you had earlier
said that you would do the web-site, and then more recently I got the
impression that you would only be doing background programming for the
things like the tabulation of judges scores. That would have left someone
else needed to do the rest of the web-site.

You are obviously much MORE experienced than I am with HTML (as you can
tell, I use Microsoft Front Page for anything I have to do), and you are
more than welcome to do it ALL...... with profound thanks from me..... <g>

Now, I notice that you've been "playing" around with some stuff - white text
on a black background is really hard to read......<g>, so I hope that was a
joke...

I spent the afternoon taking the Proposal apart and then putting it back
together again (sorry, I had to use Front Page....). I have avoided my
earlier attempts at over-reliance on tables for formatting (I know
absolutely NOTHING about CSS) and I haven't specified any "fonts" or "size"
attributes. Hopefully it looks O.K.

I have uploaded to my own ISP at:
http://www.interlog.com/~jpurch/webs/aga-proposal/Cover.htm (While this is
STILL just a "Proposal", it IS a body of work that might be useful if it was
archived on the KRIB for future reference of anybody doing a proposal in the
future.)

My only concerns with the web-site for the AGA International Showcase &
Contest are as follows:

1. I would like the "look" to be as clean as possible - no unecessary
background images on the pages, no music playing in the background, no
advertising banners popping up (I get so sick of looking at most amateur
web-sites due to these things...)

2. I would like the site to be viewable as nicely as possible in as wide a
variety of computer platforms as possible and not have to rely on the viewer
using a particular browser or operating system.

3. I favour plain white backgrounds with black text but I'm open for
alternatives.

4. I HATE the use of standard HTML lines to indicate breaks in the flow of a
page.

5. I don't like pages that run on for screen after screen of text - they
take too long to load. As I did in the posted version of the Proposal, I
would prefer to see separate pages created for each separate topic and
connected with hyperlinks.

6. Any hyperlink to an external site should open in a NEW window, so that we
don't lose the viewer (and not have to rely on them knowing that hitting the
"BACK" button will bring them back to us).

7. If it is AT ALL POSSIBLE, we should try to get stuff translated into as
many languages as possible.

So, you tell us what you want provided to you regarding the "Content"... is
MS Word format ok?

On the Proposal front, I have received the mailing addresses of all the AGA
MC members and will be putting everything in the mail on Monday morning.
Tomorrow, I plan on e-mailing all of the AGA MC members and advising them
that the hard copies of the proposal will be on their way on Monday and also
giving them the URL to the electronic version on my web-site.

Early next week I will post to the APD regarding the fact that the Proposal
has been formally submitted, inviting anyone interested to read it at the
web-site. I will remind everyone that this is not a formal announcement of
anything other than the work we have been doing for the past 7 months but
that it might be somethng they want to start planning for. I will stress the
fact that it is much more than a mere "contest". I will also be inviting new
participation for the following areas:

Scanning Help
Local Promotion
Translation Services