Re: eeewwww! <g>

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> I spent the afternoon taking the Proposal apart and then putting it back
> together again (sorry, I had to use Front Page....). I have avoided my
> earlier attempts at over-reliance on tables for formatting (I know
> absolutely NOTHING about CSS) and I haven't specified any "fonts" or "size"
> attributes. Hopefully it looks O.K.

Actually, it's fine to send the stuff with the fonts and size for the
initial document.  It'll give me an idea of how you want it to look.
Anyway, no problem either way.

We'll probably HAVE to use tables for some things like the navigation
bar... there just isn't another reliable way of doing it.  But we will add
that in on top of everything, so yeah, having pages like you prepared
without it built-in is great.

> I have uploaded to my own ISP at:
> http://www.interlog.com/~jpurch/webs/aga-proposal/Cover.htm (While this is
> STILL just a "Proposal", it IS a body of work that might be useful if it was
> archived on the KRIB for future reference of anybody doing a proposal in the
> future.)

I'll pull it into the archive website for now if you like.

> My only concerns with the web-site for the AGA International Showcase &
> Contest are as follows:
>
> 1. I would like the "look" to be as clean as possible - no unecessary
> background images on the pages, no music playing in the background, no
> advertising banners popping up (I get so sick of looking at most amateur
> web-sites due to these things...)

Great!  Totally agreed here.  Definitely the style I seek as well.

> 2. I would like the site to be viewable as nicely as possible in as wide a
> variety of computer platforms as possible and not have to rely on the viewer
> using a particular browser or operating system.

Also agreed!

> 3. I favour plain white backgrounds with black text but I'm open for
> alternatives.

Well, here's something I just thought of yesterday while playing with that
"alterna-background": You know in how Amano volume 1 has black pages.. has
a sort of elegance to it, especially with the contrasts of the tanks.  But
anyway, I'm good to go either way (tempted to see what others prefer as
well).

> 4. I HATE the use of standard HTML lines to indicate breaks in the flow of a
> page.

Ah, now I understand what you're talking about..  the <HR> tag.  I use
that only to break between articles that have been slammed together in a
multi-article thread, so I think we're in agreement here.

> 5. I don't like pages that run on for screen after screen of text - they
> take too long to load. As I did in the posted version of the Proposal, I
> would prefer to see separate pages created for each separate topic and
> connected with hyperlinks.

Agreed.  In addition, I can add some "next" and "prev" type
nav icons when reading a multipage document that has clear next pages.

> 6. Any hyperlink to an external site should open in a NEW window, so that we
> don't lose the viewer (and not have to rely on them knowing that hitting the
> "BACK" button will bring them back to us).

OK.  This is fine with me.

> So, you tell us what you want provided to you regarding the "Content"... is
> MS Word format ok?

Any format is great.  I think I can even work with Mac formats.  Word is
definitely not a problem... I can save it as HTML and just remove all the
beware is that once a document has been integrated into the site, it must
be re-edited with a text file directly (not so bad as it sounds actually).