It's starting to cook....

Well, that didn't take long...

Shortly after sending out the Adobe PDF versions of the Proposal to the
members of the AGA MC, I received a query from Diana Walstad regarding the
eligibility of a salt water seagrass aquascape. Apparently, Diana plans on
setting one up and would like to knowif it would be acceptable or not.

In my response to Diana, I explained some of the rationale behind our
decision to exclude marine tanks from the event, at least during this, the
initial year. (See the archives if you have forgotten our discussions). I
explained that ultimately, the decision would be left to the Judges.

Upon reflection, some further thoughts came to me and I sent the following
to Diana, with a request that it be communicated to the other members of the
AGA MC. As both Erik and Karen are on both committees, I would like them to
keep this in mind when they are wearing their AGA "hats" as well:

>> Begin Quote...

What you have been supplied with today (the Proposal), and what the AGA MC
will be debating and deciding, is at this point in time a PROPOSAL, nothing
more. Like ALL Proposals submitted to any organization for review, it is
subject to adjustment, revision and enhancement, based upon the sponsoring
organization's needs and wishes.

YOU are a member of the Management Committee of the AGA, I am not. You
probably have a much deeper and fuller understanding of the organization and
it's scope and goals than I have (I've only been an AGA member for a few
years). If the AGA MC decides that ANY provisions of the Proposal should be
adjusted or changed, they merely have to make the request of the organizing
committee. We shall discuss and debate any requested changes and advise the
AGA MC of our decision in a timely fashion.

As I see it, there should be an open and on-going dialogue between the two
committees during the review stage. In no way should the AGA MC feel that I
have presented them with a "take it or leave it" proposition. The initial
idea for this event was mine but the final Proposal was the result of months
of debate among a wide variety of people, each with their own version of
what this event could or should be. The structure of the actual event, as it
will ultimately be implemented, will again be a synthesis of the Proposal as
it currently stands and any changes, enhancements, additions or deletions
that the AGA MC wishes to make and the organizing committee wishes to
accept.

(in other words, if you want marine aquascapes - planted or otherwise,
included in the eligibility scope of the event, and the AGA is willing to
foot the bill, by all means ask us to make the change...)

As I say in the Proposal, this is an effort by hobbyists, for hobbyists. I
am merely a facilitator.

I trust that you will communicate this flexibility to the other members of
the AGA MC.

>> End Quote...

Over the course of the next few weeks, as the AGA MC works it's way through
the Proposal, I expect to get numerous queries similar to the one I received
from Diana. Where I can, I will pose those questions to this group for
discussion and then communicate our feelings back to the AGA MC.