Re: Entrant/Aquascape

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> At this point in time, I've given my name and address, my AGA membership
> status, where I wish my entries entered and whether or not I wish my e-mail
> address made public. I have also been asked to give the number of images I
> shall be submitting......... but isn't the number of images a property of
> the aquascape and not of the entry (in relational database terms)?

The "number of images" fields in the entrant record are basically memos. I
put them there because they were on the original entry blank... I'm not
really sure what to do with them at this point.  I *suspect* that many
people are just going to type in the captions for all their images in one
box instead of doing one for each (at least one of our testers did this),
which means the scanners will have to do some cutting and pasting of text
anyway.

But... I could change the whole schema to one where you select
slide/digital/planting plan/print for EACH image along with entering the
caption, and then remove the fields on the main entrant form entirely. The
totals information will be displayed at the bottom of the entrant form
display along with the individual photo captions.

If I switch to this system, I can also print out warnings that say "You
must enter at least two photos".  And I can then also track the planting
plan as separate from the 5 photos.

So this proposal would be:

  * Remove the four "number of X images" fields from entrant form.
  * Add new field to each image: "image type:
         (digital,slide,print,planting plan drawing)"
  * Add new input on image form to include above info.
    (Though it will only allow planting plan if there are 5 photos,
     and will not include planting plan if there already is one).
  * Add display of above field for show image, and on show images.
    (So, might now look like "Slide, Image Code AI-3-172")
  * Modify check on image count to not include planting plan drawings,
    change from 6 to 5, allow only 1 drawing,
  * Add warning messages in entrant display that less than two images have
    been entered.
  * Add totals to the top or bottom of show images.

If you're ok with this system, I'll make the change.  Sometime. :)

> The system also accepts aquascapes with NO information submitted by the
> entrant (it shows up in mine as "O L Aquatic Garden"). I had not entered L,
> W, D, V or specifically selected type of aquascape before I hit the "save"
> button. This could have been deliberate on my part or it could have been an
> error. Maybe we need a "Delete Entry" option as well, to allow people to
> correct mistakes.

Yes, I need these!

* Check for 0 in any dimension.  (Still let them enter a 1cmx1cmx1cm 100
gallon tank though... never know on those oddly-dimensioned tanks)

* Check for any blanks in the required information in each aquascape.

* Check for blank name and city in entrant form.

Thanks!