PDF format Brochure & Poster......

A few days ago, we were discussing possibly putting up a pdf file which
could be downloaded by any interested people, especially clubs....

An excellent idea, and Erik says that it can be done.... Dave VanderWall
volunteered to run any Word document I could provide through the full Adobe
Acrobat program, as there may be differences between the full version and
the Acrobat Writer program which I have...

Well, the Word document is done.... but since I lack a high speed connection
to the Internet, I don't look forward to trying to squeeze a 16.7 MB file
into an e-mail attachment! The PDF file I have produced weighs in at 1.03
MB.

Why the vast difference in file size, I don't know - printing a page of the
PDF file produces exactly the same output as printing the corresponding page
of the Word document. I can't see the difference ("is it live, or is it
Memorex?").

I have checked with Adobe's web site and I don't think that the pdf file I
was able to produce with Acrobat Writer is inferior in quality to what the
full version of Acrobat could produce, so I won't be choking Dave's in-box
with a multi megabite file - I'll just forward the pdf to Erik and ask that
it be placed on the web-site.

Erik, I guess that we should also provide a hyperlink to Adobe so that
people can get Acrobat Reader if they don't already have it. Please make
sure that the link opens in a new window so that we don't lose them. You may
want to re-work the "welcome" page to note that a pdf version is available.

The file I have produced contains ALL of the guideline material from the web
site, as well as the Sample Entry and a printable Entry Form / Aquascape
Information Form / Photo Release. For the printable material, I have
followed Erik's formatting as closely as possible.

The whole thing is done as a brochure, with a cover page and a table of
contents - it runs to 25 pages... The file is so BIG because I have used
George Booth's beautiful aquascape on the cover and placed Wim Heemskerk's
photograhs of his tanks throughout the booklet. It looks, at least to my
eye, pretty slick. With it, anyone who lacks Internet access will still have
ALL of the guideline material and information they need to prepare a
submission.

But if we do this again next year, I think we are going to have to give
serious consideration to cutting down the detail in the guidelines... I'm
afraid that I may have gone overboard in the level of detail that we have
covered.

I have also taken George's photo (the large version you sent me Erik) and
used it on a 8 1/2 X 11 Poster which I will also send to Erik for placing on
the web site. I have asked one of the members of my local Plant Group to
print it out on his own machine to let me guage what kind of results people
can expect. As we are having a meeting tomorrow, I'll know tomorrow
afternoon if the end result will justify providing this on the web. It might
be nice if we had something which people could print out and post in their
local aquarium stores (without it costing us anything...)