Re: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #289

At 04:12 AM 4/14/2000 -0700, James wrote:

>Aquarium Frontiers - ??? (this site hasn't been updated for a while - are
>they still doing this on-line magazine?)

I don't know what's happening with it.  I know they are planning some
changes.  I dropped my column at least for the time being due to lack of
time with other projects I have to get done.

>I've heard back from Mary Sweeney, Editor of Tropical Fish Hobbyist
>Magazine. She says that she will be glad to help publicize the event in TFH.
>
>And Karen, she asked that I say hello - so, "Hi Karen!", from Mary....

If you talk to her again, say "Hi" back!<g>

>Soren "Disky" Reinke , what about magazines published in Danish?

I was just going to say that I know there is a Danish one, and Claus is at
least peripherally involved with it.  (I think he was the editor at one
time)  I know they've asked me for reprint permission a couple of times in
the past.  Hopefully "Disky" can get that done, if not, let me know and
I'll ask Claus if he can get it to them.

>Manufacturers - i.e. Eheim, LaMotte, Hach, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, etc. -
>I would expect that companies like this, whose products are sold to the
>public through intermediary parties (distributors and/or wholesalers and/or
>retailers) might be the source of actual "hard goods" that we worried so
>much about earlier - how to store and how expensive they could be to ship
>halfway around the world. But they are potentially the source of the "big
>ticket" items that could cause some attention getting.

Why not explain the logistics to them and ask, if possible that they donate
a gift certificate or voucher for goods, rather than the item itself?  Then
it could be shipped directly from the manufacturer to the winner.

>Magazines - here I think I'd ask for gift subscriptions. We'd only have to
>let the magazine know who the winner was and then send a congratulatory
>notice to the winner (along with their ribbon, of course).

The mags generally are pretty willing to donate subscriptions.  The way
they handle it is to send the organization a certificate with a blank for
filling in the name and address.  These can be sent directly to the winners.

>One possible
>exception to this would be TFH Publications, as they have a whole raft of
>books - the three volume Amano set might make a nice prize.

I'd contact both Barrons and Microcosm too.  Both are producing a number of
top-quality aquarium books these days.

Karen