Re: Stuff....

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> Re: mailing list
> "How about we e-mail them and ask them to join the list rather than set it
> up for them?  That way, they choose the e-mail address they will use."
>
> You mean "aga-contest-digest" right? With the intention of moving them to
> their own list eventually (I don't want the judges's discussion to be
> readable by the public or by anyone who might have an entry in the event. I
> deliberately haven't entered, for that reason.)

No, I mean, e-mail them personally and say "Please send mail to
majordomo@thekrib.com with 'subscribe aga-judge' in the body of your
message to join the private e-mail list for the judges."  (Just don't
really do that right now... I don't have it set up yet! :)

> Re: People's Choice
>
> "Yep.  My concern is, still, that there will be ballot-stuffing in a
> people's choice award unless we make everyone register (icky).  Not a lot
> of experience with this sort of polling yet..."
>
> Six of one, half a dozen for the other..... you are the one who will be
> saddled with the work (i.e programming) so I'll leave that decision to you.

OK, I'll see what I can come up with.  I'll bet there are a few tricks to
at least slow down the ballot stuffers... or just not worry about it.

Re: Entrant's Choice
> Interesting....... I had never thought of that..... how many people do you
> think would vote for someone OTHER than themselves????

Just going with what we have at the shows locally, yeah, I think they
will.  There are just some entries that are so incredibly cool that other
entrants realize it.

> As well, the "entrant's choice" (as opposed to People's Choice) could be
> interpreted as us thumbing our nose at all of those who keep aquariums but
> who didn't enter (for whatever reason). Do we really want to do this?
> (Privately, I might be disappointed if some of the folks I hope to see enter
> don't bother to do so, but I don't think I'd want to publicly thumb my nose
> at them for not getting involved.)

Let us do both awards then!  One will be a pure popularity contest,
subject to cheating and the like.  The other will be just subject to the
whims of the entrants.