Re: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #400

James wrote:

> Not to put too fine a point on it, I don't really know or _care_ how
ribbons
> are handled in other types of events. Never having been involved in juried
> competitions before, I don't feel any necessity of slavisly following
> convention.

I couldn't care less.  I'm not getting one anyway.<g>  You asked for input,
and I gave you the input that I have to offer.  What you do with the
information is completely up to you.

> I can live with one size/style of rosette very easily however, and Karen
> mentioned a nice one (the Hampshire) yesterday. Since we won't need as
many
> as we originally budgeted for, the extra cost of the really nice rosette
> (with 15" ribbons, rather than 12" ones) shouldn't be a problem. I can
order
> blue for 1st place, red for 2nd, and white for 3rd.

If you are concerned about the color/place issue, just make sure the places
are printed on the ribbons. (I don't remember whether that was in your post
about text on the ribbons)

> But they will _still_ probably end up in a drawer somewhere.

Possibly.  My horse ones do, but I've got hundreds.  I know I see a lot of
plaques and ribbons in the homes of serious aquarists... It seems harder to
find space for multiple trophies.  I have to say that my favorite plaques
are on the wall over one of my tanks.  I don't hang everything up, but the
ones that are particularly meaningful. (I think this contest would be)

>Although, to
> tell the truth, if I ever won one, I'd have it mounted and framed.

Here's a thought for future years... There are enough people on the
committee that we could have another class JUST for committee members.
Whether there were merchandise prizes for that class or not could be up to
the group, but it would be a way for committee members to take part in the
contest (I know they can enter the showcase, but that isn't quite the same,
as can be seen by the number of "extra" entries in that category) with
absolutely _no_ appearance of impropriety.  It seems a shame, James, that
you _can_ win anything with the current arrangement!

This could also be a bit of a "perk" for helping with the contest... a
smaller class to compete in!

> For the Best of Show award (and for the People's Choice), rather than
> ordering yet another ribbon (and paying for another $25.00 "set-up fee"),
> think that awarding a plaque, which can at least be hung on the wall next
> the person's aquarium, makes more sense. Especially for the Best of Show,
as
> this person will already be getting a rosette for having won their
category.

Yes, I thought that you had already decided that.

Karen