Re: A switch and a go-ahead

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> This leaves me with an unallocated undergravel filter with a retail value of
> approx. $20.00. According to the box it came in, it cost $16.00 US to ship
> here. In my mind, it seems hardly worthwhile to pay to send this to anybody
> if they aren't going to appreciate it. Unless someone wants it (and is
> willing to pay for the shipping), I'm gonna donate it to a local aquarium
> club to give to one of their younger members.

Agreed!

> I have just received an e-mail from All Glass Aquarium, giving us permission
> to auction off the 72 gallon tank. I've been holding off doing anyhting on
> this until I had received this go-ahead. Now, I know it probably isn't hard
> to arrange an online auction - but i've never done this before.
>
> Can or should I register it with more than one on-line auction (there are
> several)? Is it possible to set a minimum bid? Do we HAVE to accept the
> highest bid (I'd be really pissed if we only get $50.00 for $500.00 worth of
> tank).

My suggestion: Just go with E-Bay.  I don't think you can do multiple,
because clearly you can't have winners on different auction sites.  You
can set a minimum bid, or even for that matter a "reserve price", which is
a sort of hidden minimum bid.  If the bidding never gets over the reserve,
then the seller does not have to actually sell it to the highest bidder.
(This is usually a better way to go than minimum bids, because it
encourages more people to bid).