promoting what?

Erik and all,

I replied directly to Erik when I got his first letter and volunteered
to help with promotions.  I think that offer still stands.  After
reading Charlene's letter and going back over the archive for recent
correspondence I had to wonder just what it was I volunteered to
promote.  A contest or a conference?

The contest needs rather little - some prizes and announcements in
magazines or on websites.  The conference appears to involve way more -
including cash in exchange for booths and advertising, printed copy and
on-site vendor participation.  The contest targets a fairly wide
audience because it's so cheap and easy, but it's interesting mostly to
those people with internet access and some computer savvy.  The
conference targets a smaller audience of people with a few hundred (or
thousand) dollars rattling around who can pick up in November and head
cross-country for a weekend in Chattanooga.

So when we approach a vendor or a magazine, are we asking for a little
space on a website to promote a picture contest or are we trying to sell
booth space in Tennessee?  Are we offering goodwill and a mention in the
prize list, or are we offering ad space in a glossy brochure?

There's a big contrast in the scale and needs of the two projects. I'm
concerned that the contest is just going to be used as a promotional
gimmick for the conference, and maybe as a way for the conference to get
more volunteer help.

Can someone explain the approach here?  I don't understand and I'm a
little uneasy.

Roger Miller