RE: Material for website

James wrote, rather well:

>       Botanical Illustration has a long and noble history.
> Artists have long turned to Nature for inspiration and it
> seems only natural that people with an interest in aquatic
> plants might use them as subjects for their art and crafts.
> We invite anyone who draws, paints, sculpts or works in any
> medium to submit images of their work depicting aquatic
> plants. Submissions can be scientifically accurate
> representations or artistic interpretations, the choice is
> left entirely up to the artist.
>
>       Garden Ponds continue to be of intense interest and
> sources of great pride to their owners and admirers. The
> principals of aquascaping and landscaping are very similar
> and we invite submission of images of your pond to this new
> category. From dramatic close-ups of a single water lily
> blossom to serene overviews of passive reflections, there is
> much to be admired and shared.

I've read Erik's and James' comments about this and I must say I'm torn.
For the record, I did respond to your original post, James, and I did
not object to the idea I just wanted more details.  I like the
"aquascaping and landscaping are very similar" part and that sort of
settled me down, but I do agree with Erik that the subjects seem out of
focus with the rest of the contest.  The illustrations would clearly
have to be judged on their own and I don't see any way they could or
should be considered for a best-of-show ribbon.  Ponds are ponds.  There
are so many people that keep ponds in Minnesota it makes me curious,
because the season is so short.  (Then again, I ride a motorcycle, and
that also has a short season in my neck of the woods.)  Anyway, I
understand the appeal of a koi pond, I just don't know that such works
should go up against a true aquascape.  They almost have an unfair
advantage, IMHO.

I'm very much into the idea of getting more people involved.  Maybe we
should explore some other ways to do that?  I'll mention one thing here
and will be prepared to get shot down right away.  (Wait, I just read
the archives and I've already been shot down via your silence.)  Here
goes anyway ... How about if we send out some hard-copy press kits this
year to some of the larger clubs and organizations?  I assume GSAS
(Washington) is in good hands with Erik (maybe even some of the folks to
his south in Oregon), I can take care of MAS (Minnesota), and James can
take care of the Toronto area (Ontario -- I just looked through my list
and I don't have Toronto, ON, attached to anything, can you send any
local club contact info, James?, or are you going to make me hunt for
it? <grin>).  However, let's talk about California, New York, Florida,
clubs around those areas (the Brooklyn Aquarium Society claims to have
over 400 active members).  Do we have any volunteers on this list that
actively participate in those areas?  If not, I'm sure it would be in
our best interest to send out some printed information for distribution
at a meeting.  Yes, no?  Anyone willing to offer up an opinion on this?

Once again, regarding the new categories, I can't offer much of an
objection.  Technically it's feasible, it might look a little strange,
but I'm all for participation.  An informal vote on the AGA member list
might seal the deal.  I'm a recent member, so I'll get a democratic
voice in this too. <grin>

Sincerely,

Dave VanderWall