Material for website

Erik,

I have written a new "introduction" for the Contest web site, and am going
over the Resources section of the site to weed out dead links (there are now
quite a few). I find it rather frustrating that at least from comments made
on the APD people don't seem to be either aware of or using the Resources
section. Last week, someone asked on the APD about brackish aquariums and
then Robert Hudson strated whining about paludariums - sometimes I'm glad
he's not within arm's reach of me.

Anyway.....

I still have to do up a bit for the new categories - perhaps the only parts
of the website which should be viewable right now are the Introduction and
the last two years versions. I'll work on that material over the weekend and
should be able to get something to you for next week. Nobody will do much
about entries for a while anyway.

Here is the "intro":

--------------

Welcome to the third annual AGA International Aquascaping Contest.

As in past years, our focus is on the art and practice of aquascaping in
fresh and brackish water aquariums as well as paludariums. We hope that the
aquascapes we display can act as a source of inspiration and ideas as well
as a forum for hobbyists to share their creations with others. Over the past
two years we have received entries from hobbyists who live in many parts of
the world, proving how universal this hobby truly is. The variety of
aquascaping styles and themes is amazing and something can be learned from
each and every entry.

All types and sizes of freshwater aquascapes are welcome here - African Rift
Lake type tanks, underwater gardens chock full of live plants, the
beginner's tank with plastic decorations, all have their place. Show the
world your pride and joy!

We have added two NEW categories this year - Botanical Illustration and
Garden Ponds.

        Botanical Illustration has a long and noble history. Artists have long
turned to Nature for inspiration and it seems only natural that people with
an interest in aquatic plants might use them as subjects for their art and
crafts. We invite anyone who draws, paints, sculpts or works in any medium
to submit images of their work depicting aquatic plants. Submissions can be
scientifically accurate representations or artistic interpretations, the
choice is left entirely up to the artist.

        Garden Ponds continue to be of intense interest and sources of great
pride
to their owners and admirers. The principals of aquascaping and landscaping
are very similar and we invite submission of images of your pond to this new
category. From dramatic close-ups of a single water lily blossom to serene
overviews of passive reflections, there is much to be admired and shared.

The Guidelines section of the web site will give you all the information you
should need to prepare your entry and if you are in need of either
inspiration or help in aquascaping or photographing your aquarium, please
check out the many links in the Resources section.

Full instructions on how you may enter are also included.

Entries are now being accepted for this year's event. The closing date for
submission of entries is September 15th, 2002. Winners shall be announced at
the third annual AGA Convention which will be held in Houston, Texas,
November 8-10, 2002. All entries will be viewable on the web site at that
time. We invite you to view the archived entries from prior years and
encourage you to share your own aquascapes and artistry with us this year.

Enjoy!

James Purchase
AGA International Aquascaping Contest Committee