RE: PDF (and site?)

OK, through the slew of letters... coming back to this one point:

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, James Purchase wrote:

> I have the text from the web site, and I'm working on "generalizing" it, to
> accomodate the new categories, but from what I can see right now, there IS
> going to have to be some minor programing changes regarding buttons and such
> that only Erik can do - if he's willing to do it. When I registered with the
> site and tried to enter a drawing, it doesn't seem sensible to be using the
> same fields as are needed for an aquascape (although those same fields would
> work just fine for a pond).

Like I said before, this is a major programming rework, and definitely not
something I have the time to do.  Anything that involves changing the flow
of screens (in this case inserting new screens that don't exist... even
making them conditional on particular entry types) or adding conditional
database fields and such is going to be problematic.  We can change the
text on any button or field in the screen, but cannot add new screens.  I
wrote to Dave V earlier today how I have literally had no time to work on
anything for the past three weeks.  It looks like it's going to continue
that way.  I can sneak in an hour here and there, but nothing like the
entire Saturdays I pulled two years ago when programming the site.

This certainly is PART of why I beleive that the botanical category is not
appropriate for the aquascaping contest, it is part of a larger feeling
that "it seems out of place". I have stated the other reasons before, and
heard the defense from James, so we don't need to rehash them.  One thing
new that has been brought up is the inclusion of photographs in the "art"
category, which I also disagree with.  We're talking about a whole new
contest with this, a whole new contest with totally different rules.

I know that when you ask the public at large if you should add something,
the usual reaction is "YEAH".  But that public isn't involved in mulling
over either conceptually how the whole thing looks and feels, and the
general public is also not involved in practical matters like finding
judges who know how to judge "art", or writing up the rules, web pages,
and press releases.  I saw an episode of the Simpsons or something once
where they had a focus group of little kids, and they were asking them,
"would you like to see more little cuddly furry characters added to
product x" and the little kids all scream "YAAAAY!"  Then the marketeer
asks if they'd like to see more violence and big monsters added and all
the little kids go "YAAAAY!" again.