RE: Brochure update needed (PayPal and CC) (was RE: AGA CONTEST - Digest V1 #501)

Dave G. wrote, in reference to accepting a credit card (CC) via PalPay:

> I find this all very confusing.
>
> 1.  Why do we have to say EXACTLY how payment can be made in the
> brochure.   Why not:  "Visit www.aga.com to find last minute
> updates and
> convenient payment terms"  or some such?

I don't suppose that we do, except that the language is already there,
so it needs to be deleted at the very least.  Personally I think it is
handy information to include since just about everything else is
summarized in the brochure.  It was probably more important to state
that we did not accept CCs in years past.

> 2.  Why are we not going to take real credit cards?   I can
> take them for
> the AGA if the AGA wishes.  Nothing for my time, cost from my
> cc service
> for the processing (2.9%+.15 per transaction, I believe).
> VISA and MC.  I
> will then write a check for the whole amount to AGA.
>
> Please advise.....

I dunno.  Someone else will have to step up and chime in.  I'd have no
problem with it, or with the AGA setting up something like what you
have.  The whole problem I have is security.  Accepting a CC on-line
requires a web server with SSL (which is no big deal) and a way to
integrate that into the ordering system.  It can be a daunting task that
I think we're not quite ready for.  I'd vote against the plain text
email "hiding" method, even though I truly believe it's just as secure
as a telephone call or a fax.  I'll wait till others comment before
elaborating since that is probably a non-issue.

That being said, I suppose we could accept the CC# via a secure web page
and Erik or whoever could submit it to you somehow.  Again, things start
to get a little (lot?) more complicated.

The PayPal service, on the other hand, is already set up to deal with
this.  People just need to get signed up with PayPal and then, for a
nominal fee (which THEY pay), they can wire money via CC into the AGA
PayPal account.  Seems simple enough.

I agree, though, that we don't have to be specific in the brochure.  We
really just need to take out the "Credit card payments cannot be
accepted" part and put in something like, "Visit the Showcase web site
for information about electronic and credit card payments."  If we can
decide on a general course of action here we can make the brochure
language generic enough to accommodate whatever payment methods we do
end up accepting.

Thanks,

Dave V.

P.S. for Dave G.:  Got my CO2 setup going at work today with that
diffusor, Dave.  Works pretty slick!  I shut it down for the evening,
though, so I can tune the system next week when I'm going to be there.
:-)