Response to award dispute

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:54:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com>
To: Jiri.Panacek@krn.os.ds.mfcr.cz
Subject: Re: your mail

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 Jiri.Panacek@krn.os.ds.mfcr.cz wrote:

> Erick, sorry, but maybe I don't have calculate :-)
>
> is possible, that in USA is this true?
> 122 x 30 x 46 = 200 liters

This is very true.  Actually, what is going on is that many of these tanks
are marketed and sold in the USA as "55 gallon", i.e. 48-inch wide
aquaria.  In fact, most aquaria sold in the US are marketed as larger in
volume than they truly are.

Now, perhaps the first three of the "large" aquaria (64, 58, and 56) may
have been better suited in the medium category -- they are all 100cm wide,
while the next larger aquaria are 122 cm wide.  Perhaps the 100cm width
tanks should have competed with  the smaller aquaria.  Perhaps not -- they
are clearly different than even the largest three of the "medium"
category.

> I think, that  Luis Navarro is not competitor in entry aquastic garden 200l
> - 400l, but competitor in entry aquastic garden till 200 liters, becouse his
> tank has volume only 168,36 liters. I like his tank, is  beutiful and title
> "best of show" is correct.

I do not beleive that any of these shallow 122 cm aquaria should have
been reclassified as "medium".  Luis' (as well as other "208L" aquascapes)
are clearly "LARGE", not "MEDIUM".  They are aquascaped differently than
the "medium" aquaria.

> I'm  very sad, that I had not seen AGA 2002 in HOUSTON - I have been reading
> about it in Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #43 It had to be amazing, I think. I
> would like see Tom Barr, you and other interesting people in action :-)).

Tom Barr couldn't make it.  I think he's busy researching.