feedback from Robert Hudson

I am opting to not reply to this letter quite yet.  Too tired.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:29:20 -0800
From: Robert H <robertph3@attbi.com>
To: Erik Olson <erik@thekrib.com>
Subject: this years contest

Erik,

I know you have gotten a few critical emails from people about the
contest, (some of them have been posted in my forums) and you probably
view at least some of them as just sour grapes, and I dont want to add to
your frustration, but just a few comments to take for whatever they are
worth...

I think the AGA should take a lesson learned that you have tried to
broaden the scope of the event too far off base.  The new catagories added
this year by James is proof of that.  But I don't think aquascapes without
plants belong in the contest in the first place, and definetly not in the
same catagory with plants even if it is a biotope.

I also believe a statement saying this event was never about being a
contest is naive. While true the motives behind it may be pure, there is
competition involved in something like this. People want to win and take
pride in being a winner. People will always be disappointed and even
frustrated. I don't know how you can expect that not to happen. All any
organizer of an event like this can do is try to be as thourough to detail
as possible to make it fair for everyone involved. Only when you are
confident that this has been done can you simply dismiss people's comments
as being sour grapes.

I hope the AGA will look at comments like this as a way to improve the
event, instead of a reason to abolish it. Its still the best thing going
on the internet, but it doesn't mean it cant be made better.

Best regards

Robert Hudson