RE: Post Event Quibbles

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, James Purchase wrote:

> Erik, et al
>
> Regarding "effort", I don't really think that the critics have any idea of
> just how MUCH work it is to put something like this together, and to pull it
> off successfully. I felt very guilty this year because my continuing health
> problems made be drop the ball and have to sit it out. I know that placed an
> even bigger burden on Erik and David Vanderwall. If it wasn't for the
> undoubtly massive effort on their part, this thing wouldn't still be viable.

Thanks for the kind words -- everyone.  Gathering email addresses is
complete grunt work, and I'll admit that I spent some time on it.  Once
the list was put together I sent out 2 semi-automated emails, which was a
piece o' cake.  The increased number of "bounced" emails between the first
and second round was quite discouraging.  Keeping email addresses "fresh"
seems difficult at best.  :::sigh:::  Oh well.

> I also fear that the continuing niggling might cause Erik to just tire of it
> all and scrap the whole thing as not worth the headache.

Me too.  Erik has played such a tremendously important roll, and I tip my
hat to him.  Hopefully there are enough dedicated folks around here to
keep things going as long as we all see fit.

> But for all that - seeing the quality of the aquascapes which were entered
> this year is very nice. It was also very nice to see where some of the
> entries came from. Regional differences in approach are visible and I think
> that the display of so many tanks helps everyone by providing examples to
> emulate.

63 entries this year.  Not bad!  Just to play to a little selfishness here
(on behalf of the AGA), I seem to recall that one of our many motivations
for this showcase was to gather up new and exciting images for TAG and
other AGA-related projects.  Over the past three years we have succeeded
nicely at that, and everyone involved, organizers, contestants and judges,
deserves a round of applause.  Complainers?  Nah, f*ck 'em.  I feel we've
accomplished what we set out to do, and yet I look forward to next year.

On a side note, sorry I couldn't make it to Houston.  Scheduling conflicts
at work prevented my attending.  I hope everyone had a great time!

Warmest regards,

Dave VanderWall
Minneapolis, MN

--