[AGA Contest] next year suggestions

>From the TAOPA list.  I agree about the "show the judges' tanks"
suggestion, but not about "only 3 judges".  In my experience, 3 judges can
differ SO wildly that the awards seem almost random sometimes.  For
instance, when the first three judges reported in, the 2nd place award for
the Biotope tank would have been given to the tank that wasn't a biotope
at all.  At least with five, one person with a different idea would be
averaged out.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:39:43 -0700
From: Ellen O'Connell <oconnel4@ix.netcom.com>
To: taopa@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [taopa] along the lines of what Ricky says (titling)

>Think the title should be placed at the top of the entry?  I've been
>mulling this over since I presented the winners.  It'd take maybe 10
>minutes to modify the source.

I love the AGA contest, and studying the entries every year has helped me
more with improving the look of my own tanks than any other reference I've
ever found.  The fact that there are layouts, listings of plants and fish,
information about the substrate, lighting, etc., all make these photos far
more helpful than any others I've found.  Also, the judges' comments, even
though Karen Randall was the only one who consistently made the effort in
the beginning, have really helped.  Even if I disagree with a comment or
can't see its basis, reading the comment, then looking at the entry with
that in mind usually makes me consider something I wouldn't have on my own.

Erik's post above makes me think that now may be the time to make some
suggestions to be considered for next year's contest, and I'd like to offer
some.

First, I wish the layout plan was required, not just suggested.  Looking at
photos I would never be able to accurately come up with the layout, and
seeing the layout gives a feel for how much of a certain plant is needed to
produce a certain look.

Second, I wish a judges' page could be included that would show perhaps one
or two of each judge's own tanks and perhaps one or two of tanks not their
own that they admire with their comments as to why.  As someone who showed
horses for over 20 years, I found out long ago that people can be judges
and be well qualified but simply have different tastes than your own.  Yes,
I sometimes showed my elegant pretty-headed horses to judges who liked big
stout animals whose chief virtue was high action, but I went into it
knowing I wouldn't need a suitcase to carry home trophies.  In aquascapes
there are undoubtedly people who, when faced with equally lovely entries in
Japanese, Dutch, and American styles, would always go for one or the other
because that's their preference.  It would be nice to see what the AGA
contest judges admire most.  The contest only shows what they like the most
among that year's entries.

Third, I think 3 judges is always enough.  There's going to be enough
difference of opinion among 3.  When you get 4 and 5 judges, you get too
much difference.

Ellen O'Connell
Parker, CO
mailto:oconnel4@ix.netcom.com