RE: [AGA-Contest] Some of the Jobs -- or- I must be thinking, my lips are moving

On Fri, 6 May 2005, S. Hieber wrote:

* Awards Ceremony Replacement for 2005

Webcast or a streaming video or something?

Yeah, where would they chat. Real time? or Forum-like and
folks could post questions and eventually get some replies.

I think one cool way to do this would be to do a live chat/webcast, analogous to how it's presented in person, but either synchronized in some way so that the entries pop up on peoples' screen as they are announced (but are not available for viewing ahead by the participants). We see stuff like this all the time at work with companies doing Webinars, though usually they've got a call-in 800 conference number for audio (I don't think that'll be practical for 100+ people, though).

Something we WOULD be able to do with a chat that we don't have time for in the convention, is Q&A for the judges.

Anyway, as this is one of the LAST things that would be done, I'll poke around here when I have time, but if someone has good knowledge of Internet Chat tech, please speak away!

Oh, as an aside, another thing I think we should try is to make the results available for BitTorrent download simultaneously. This would help offload some of the hit on the website right away, the people that use that approach will have a zippy local copy to browse through at their leisure, and the only thing missing from the bittorrent version would be the ability to vote (just like the CD-ROM version).