Re: [AGA-Contest] Plant forums

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Stevens-Lavigne Zoe wrote:

> Oh, Bailin (and everyone), regarding the masthead: please note that I'd be
> happy to combine features of various into a new masthead, as well as remove
> any blur / colour tweaking you find distasteful.  I want to make sure the
> masthead accurately represents what AGA, and that everyone is happy with it
> - so don't be afraid to knitpick!

Bailin probably relayed the comments, but all of us really liked the new
one you did in the last batch (the first one).

I think we also liked the concept in the fourth one in the previous batch,
with the figure-8 with the cardinals and flags of the world.  Only oddity
there (to me) was the reduction of contrast (specifically, the boosting of
the black level) made what was a crisp, contrasty, professional photo look
muddy and a little amateurish.

Having done most of these in the past, it's really hard to say what
represents the contest.  Because sometimes it's been very specific, while
others just kinda happened.  2004's "Museum" masthead was inspired
directly from conversations I had with people, some of whom were saying
how we need to throw out the whole "viability" scoring and treat it like
the fine art that it is, while others were saying "it's just an aquarium
-- it's supposed to be fun!"  The first year's montage of continuous
aquascape was supposed to show people that rockwork and fantasy designs
were OK (the latter didn't catch on).  But 2001 was definitely a "this
seems like it'd be cool", and 2006 was kinda thrown together at the last
minute as I was going through entry after entry of those split aquascapes
with the channel down the middle.  And 2005's judge extravaganza was a
simple idea from Ricky about people sitting around a table that got out of
control (in a good way).

Anyway, I like the first and last ones. :)