Re: [AGA-Contest] AGA Aquascaping Contest: Entry Incomplete

Lee was their paludarium guy for a while if I recall correctly.  The website's down so I can't confirm.  If I also recall correctly in 2003 (?) one of the winners was an aquarium set up by ADG but entered under the name of the client in whose house it was.  It may have been a case where the people had a greater hand in maintaining the aquarium, but I distinctly recall Jeff saying that it was one of the tanks ADG was heavily involved in.  Personally, I don't care that ADG used to win so much, they deserve every ribbon they have and more for tanks that never got entered.  The point of the example was to illustrate how easy it is for people to take advantage of the current system to bypass the limits if they so choose.  I'll admit, there were a couple years there when I almost had Sharon submit extra entries with a note that they weren't to be judged but I wasn't sure if the notes would have been before they were judged so I didn't.

Getting to the point of the original discussion though, why not give people the option of submitting non-competition photos if they want?  I can't imagine that folks who have more than three rounds of aquascapes to show wouldn't choose the best aquascapes for competition anyway.  Using myself as an example again, I know I would have used a "Comment Only" option liberally in the past.  The only aquascape I did in order to compete was the little West African setup in 2003.  I would have been just as happy clicking the Comments Only box on all my others entries and potential entries.  If such an option were available this year I'd use it.  I know my setups will never be competitive again but damned if I don't want to put as many aquascapes in the show as I can.  I've never expected any of my aquascapes to place, for me it's about supporting the organization.

Would there be a significant work/time investment involved in setting up the entry process to separate the judge/don't judge entries?  All I see is the box on the user end and know nothing about the work behind it.

I agree with Karen, using some sort of pre-screening or consensus between the judges about which are the top X number of tanks that actually get judged would be a good idea, especially since we don't get to see our scores.  If it gave the judges more time to comment on each entry all the better.

~Phil