RE: Legal Question

Copyrights includes the right to make derivations of (or from) a
copyright protected item.

[Sidebar:  No one asked Lieber & Stoller if Elvis could record and
release "Houndog."  Nonetheless, Lieber & Stoller made a lot of money
off of Elvis's release of "Houndog" not because it was a lot like a
song they had written years before and that had been floating around in
bars since then, but because it obviously was derived from their
original work.]

So large but incomplete excerts and revised texts won't necessarily
exempt one from copyright issues.

Scott H.