Re: sprouting bulbs

Have you looked at the climate and other conditions in its natural
distribution area.    Here in the wet dry tropics of OZ we have about
9 months of dry weather when most of the grasslands are burned then 3
months really wet.   The initial build up to the wet season storms
wash tons of ash and other organic material into the water causing
harsh conditions for fish from the lower oxygen levels created by the
high biological oxygen demand of the rotting material.    The local
aponogetons don't appear to sprout initially but when the creeks
actually start to run they pop up everywhere.   Where a creek or
river is spring fed the aponogetons stay out all year.

I have some Ondinea purpurea  (a small lily closely related to
barclaya) bulbs that won't sprout, I think I might try one in a
sealed jar of ash, charcoal, leaf mulch and other material for a
couple of weeks and then drop it into soft clean well oxygenated
water.   I hadn't thought of doing that until this discussion.

Cheers
Dave Wilson