Re: Foreign Memberships

I would consider abuse as distributing the password to non-AGA members for
download.  I suspect that most illegal distribution would involve excessive
multiple downloads of a file (e.g. more than 2).  If an individual is cheap
enough to want to illegally download a copy, he (or she) is probably too
cheap to have DSL or other high-speed internet connection, which would make
it very time-consuming to distribute the copies via the internet).  If the
file being downloaded is more than 2 MB, it's a real pain for the individual
to distribute (someone would need to download the file, then use a file
compression program to break the file into pieces that would fit onto
diskettes, then each segment would need to be copied and the set of diskettes
copied would need to distributed or the large file could be copied onto a CD
(not unlike copying each page with a photocopier and distributing the copies
of the pages).

A provision could be made for those who are authorized but are having
problems downloading the file by getting preauthorization for one or two
additional downloads in order to get the file.

Let's face it - regardless of the medium, if someone is sufficiently
motivated, it's not that difficult to distribute illegal (copyright
violation) copies of anything.  The best we can do is to make if a bother to
discourage EVERYONE from distributing the illegal copies.