Re:

In a message dated 4/29/2003 7:42:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tracihv@msn.com writes:

> Okay, so I guess it's time I jumped in. I've had aquariums with fake plants
> for years. I joined the list because I'm toying with the idea of planting
> my tanks.

Great!  :)

> Nowhere can I find information on how to plant a tank that is already
> established. Is this even possible?

Of course it is!  the mulm in the gravel will provide excellent fertilization
for plants.  See these links for more info:

<A HREF="http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/";>http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/</A>
<A HREF="http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-qa.html";>http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-qa.html</A>

> I have an established 55 gallon freshwater with about 20 fish. There's an
> undergravel filter and gravel only.

Some people may say the UG may give you problems with plant roots, others
will tell you it's ok.  I tried this once in a ten gallon and didn't have any
problems...although when I decided to redo the tank without the UGF, I did
notice that lots of roots had grown into the filter.  You may have to be
careful of root overgrowth clogging the filter.

> traci
>
> ___

Good luck!!

Erica