Re: [AGA Member] newbie here with some questions...

True enough but in terms of money, you can spend the least
here without getting into trouble or making a lot of work
for yourself.

Some peat and some decent sand or gravel will work well.
You don't have to use anything expensive.

Similar savings can be had with lights and CO2 systems if
you're willing to buy used, be tactical about houw you use
Ebay and how you snipe bids, and do some work yourself.
But for a lot less trouble you can usuall find some inert
gravel that you can amend suitably and cheaply.

Of course, each individual's opportunities vary.

Scott H.