Re: [AGA Member] Soft water management

On Fri, 16 May 2003 09:55:16 -0700, Dennis Sheridan wrote

> Ok, I guess I need to check this out further. I was basing my
> reactions to the appearance of algae with what I read at
> wetwebmedia's faq sheet on algae control -
> http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTksSubWebIndex/algcontags.htm
> (Mainly because reading the faq at thekrib -
> http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/balance.html - tends to give me
> a headache. <g>)

I can't imagine why that would give you a headache! :)

I took a look at the first document.  The article may be overall pretty good
-- considering its age -- but it makes some statements under "Prevention" that
caught my eye.  The relationship between algae and hard water is tenuous at
best.  The article also recommends a bogus method for determining if rocks or
decor will contribute to hardness.

I don't know when the article was written, but its most recent reference was
to an article from 1996.  The article bypasses 7 years of thought and
experience.  When I read it I felt like I was having a flashback!

Roger Miller