[AGA Member] Forwarded mail

Aviel is using a mailer or an attachment which is getting rejected by the
worm-filter.  I will hand-deliver this one.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Livay Aviel-R51374 <Aviel.Livay@motorola.com>
To: "'aga-member@thekrib.com'" <aga-member@thekrib.com>
Subject: what are the favorable conditions for red algae?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 07:32:05 +0200

Hello everybody,

I am confused...

Sears and Conlin say: "Because others have observed that tanks with CO2
fertilization have relatively little red algae [5], it tempting to
speculate that at least some red algaes are able to utilize bicarbonate,
giving them an advantage in aquaria where most of the available carbon is
in this form (typically those with high carbonate hardness and high pH). "

They rely on : ref5[5] Baensch, H. and Riehl, R. Aquarium Atlas Volume 2,
Tetra Press, 1993.

Neil Frank said the following:

"Red algae primarily utilize free CO2 and are naturally found in soft
waters of relatively low pH or streams where CO2 concentrations are
relatively high. Their native stream habitat explains why these furry
epiphytes are so tenacious and will not disattach conveniently from
plants. In my experience, the red algae are only found to be fully
developed and to be grwoing profusely in acidic conditions. In fact, when
a local Raleigh aquarium shop owner buffered the water to neutal in the
store's front display tank, the algae died back considerably. The change
was not permanent, but supports the notion that acidic conditions are
needed for optimal growth. These observations seem to contradict the
advice of the Germans. They recommend introduction of CO2 to suppress the
growth of red algae [As I indicated elsewhere, I never saw mature red
algae in my tanganyikan tanks where I suspect free CO2 shifted to
bicarbonates]"

Those messages seem to be contradicting. Also Diane Walstad says in her
book that algae is favorable in hard water but also mentions that this is
not the case for red algae...

So I am confused - could anyone update me as for the latest knowledge?
What is the cause for red-algae and how can I naturally get rid of it
(except for SAEs, bleach, etc ...),

Thanks,

Aviel.