[AGA Member] Jungle Val, African Cichlids, and Undergravel Filters

OK, I know that those 3 topics shouldn't listed in the same phrase.  But I thought I would give it a try anyway.  Does anyone have experience with raising Jungle Val in an African cichlid tank?  The local pet store has suggested that the cichlids won't eat the Jungle Val (or Anubias) and that the best filtration would be an undergravel filter with powerheads to move the water.  They emphasized that the Africans need MAJOR water circulation.  But I am wondering if an outside power filter and/or canister filter would be a better choice.  Any thoughts on this?

--Bill