Re: [AGA Member] Hair algae

Randy Pullen wrote:

Any suggestions on getting rid of hair algae? Long thin green strands
are hanging off my plant's leaves as long as an inch or two. I reduced
the lighting to 2.5 watts for 8 hrs. It is a newly started tank. I was
running 5 watts per gallon at first. That's when this started.
Thanks,
Randy

--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts --- multipart/alternative text/plain (text body -- kept) text/html --- ------------------ To unsubscribe from this list, please send mail to majordomo@thekrib.com with "Unsubscribe aga-member" in the body of the message. Archives of this list can be found at http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/

Kibitzing her, hope it helps. Have you read the Krib archives?
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/
I'm new, but for a year now I've found the Krib planted tank archives invaluable for lots of this stuff, including IDing what algae I had. Adding CO2, non-phosphate liquid fertilizers (higher-quality such as Mastergro, Seachem, Kent etc.), SAE algae-eaters, and adequate lighting has made a *huge* difference for my tanks. For one thing, the DIY yeast CO2 took my tap from liquid limestone right down into a nice comfy Amazon tetra habitat pH--and a lot easier than I'd expected! The plants are sooo much happier they're outcompeting the black brush algae I used to have.
What kind of plants are you trying? New tank needs fast stem plants. My family loves the way hornwort looks, it's scary how fast that stuff grows, and side-trick, it puts out chemicals that inhibit algae. (Query to experts: do these allellochemicals inhibit higher plants too?) I'm also growing Crypts, but I don't expect them to pull their weight on the tank break-in.
IMHO, you **might** be able to get away with 5 watts/gallon if you have fast-growing stem plants settled in & happy, but you'll have to add a LOT of nitrogen and potassium and iron and micronutrients to accomplish this (and prune a lot!) The big deal is to reduce your phosphorus content down to minimum compared to nitrogen and potassium.
What little P there is, should come from feeding the fish. Are you feeding them too much?
How many fish are in the tank? Big messy hard-livin' fish? Are the nitrites/nitrates building up fast (not the primary algae issue--just an indicator of wastes getting out of hand) so you should be doing more water changes or reduce the fish load? (Yes, I know, there's probably not such a thing as too many water changes. Aquarist guilt.)
You didn't say much about your other conditions, either. If you're using pH buffers, for instance, most of them have phosphates, which feeds the algae so much it can really foul your tank Some of the cheaper plant tablets sold in LFSs are also horrid for leaking phosphates into the water. (Check the labels for NPK percentages. No P, please. Not until you know EXACTLY what you're doing.) Or you may just have too much phosphate coming in from your tapwater--check with water company, or try a phosphate test kit on your tapwater too.
Besides the other Krib material, George and Karla Booth's material goes in a lot of detail on water chemistry and gives general levels you should be aiming for (besides gorgeous pix!). They also note that if you're doing everything right, you may still have some minor amounts of certain kinds of algae (removable with toothbrush twirled in it, in fact.)
Funny, how that made me feel better...
http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/