Re: [AGA Member] Hair algae

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 19:18, you wrote:

> Randy Pullen wrote:
> > Any suggestions on getting rid of hair algae? Long thin green strands
> > are hanging off my plant's leaves as long as an inch or two. I reduced
> > the lighting to 2.5 watts for 8 hrs. It is a newly started tank. I was
> > running 5 watts per gallon at first. That's when this started.
> > Thanks,
> > Randy
>
> C'mon, y'all. I told Randy that if he posted a question to this list he
> would get five amazing answers.

Gee Cheryl,  how amazing do they have to be?  I can think of some
semi-amazing answers:

the stork
mass times the speed of light squared
42  (for you Douglas Adams fans)
the butler in the library with the candlestick
don't worry, whatever it is will go away by itself.

Oh wait.  Those (except maybe the last) don't help Randy at all.

Reducing the light was probably a good move.  New tanks often go through a
lot of different kinds of algaes while they break in.  They are a storm that
needs to be weathered more than they are a problem that needs to be solved.
You can remove hair algae fairly easily with a comb or a brush that you just
wave through the water and around the plants to snag the hairs.  If you
maintain stable, healthy conditions and have a lot of growing plants in the
tank then the algae will eventually fade away.

Roger Miller