Re: [AGA Member] Please suggest North American native plants

Hi Rich,

I would be pretty interested in where you actually live.  Yes, one
prerequisite for finding freshwater plants is first finding freshwater.  I
mentioned in the article the trouble I found after moving to Corpus Christi.

I use quite a few Internet resources to search for plants.  I try to educate
myself first on what I might find.  This gives me a head start when I go out
in the field.  The USDA site will give you a map of the states a plant can
be found.  It also will often refer you to a state website that often will
give you the county where the plants can be found.  Did you know sword
plants grow in Wisconsin?  For some of the websites I use, go to my links
page at:

http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's%20Page/Aquarium/Links/general%20aquarium%20links.html

I recently struck a mother lode when I went to the San Marcos River, TX,
with Paul Krombholz.  It is still in Texas, but farther north and has ideal
growing conditions for plants.  However, I did 2 months of research before
we made the trip (and I am still doing research).  We have some pictures at:
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's%20Page/Aquarium/Expedition%201/Expedition%201_01.html

You mention collecting fish.  That can be rewarding in the desert areas.  I
have written an article to compliment the first article, but this one is
about collecting fish.  You might want to peruse that one.  Its at:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/cms_articles.php?cid=12

We also have a growing number of "biotopists" that are exchanging ideas at
www.aquaticplantcentral.com, where I am the biotope moderator.  It seems
there are quite a few people collecting in North America that may be able to
help you, and many people who aren't biotope minded are still enthusiastic
native plant collectors.  Quite a few people on the various lists and forums
will be happy to send you their clippings.

Regards,

Steve Pituch
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/a.html