[AGA Member] Tempest in a (black) teapot

OK, folks,

Let's calm down.  A joke that Scott made was misunderstood by someone else.
That's ALL that went on here, so let's leave it at that.

It's FINE that a notice about the Aquabotanic contest was posted here.  I
feel bad that no one got the information to me in time that it could have
been announced in TAG as well.  Even though Aquabotanic is a commercial
site, I wouldn't have had any problem with an announcement... I think this
kind of contest benefits every one of us.  I also think that the idea that
these contests will somehow "compete" or detract from each other is way off
base.  There is NO reason why aquariusts shouldn't be strongly encouraged to
enter all three! (There may be other contests, but if so, I'm not aware of
them)  I show horses, and on EVERY WEEKEND throughout the year, you can find
at least a few horse shows to compete in within driving distance.  More
opportunities to compete only raises the level of the competition.  It's
good for everyone! Isn't that what we'd all like to see?

That is also true if any of you Aquabotanic "regulars" sees a post or series
of posts that you think would be good article material for TAG.  We have
gotten wonderful articles that started out as a sketchy post on a BB
somewhere.  If something is posted on AB that looks like the start of a good
article, please feel free to forward the contact information to me.  I'm
happy to work with the author to help them flesh it out if they need that
help.  As you all know, Scott Hieber does this for APD regularly.  There is
a lot of good information out there on mailing lists and BB's.  But not all
of us have the time to visit these lists and sites regularly.  And as
astounding as it may seem, we DO have AGA members without internet access!
We have many more who live in areas with only slow, dial-up connections
which make BB's cumbersome.

Incidentally, lest the subject comes up... ADA gets their big contest ad
because they put it in their regular advertising slot.  Aquabotanic doesn't
advertise in TAG, but I assume this is because, as a small company, they
don't have a big advertising budget.  I like to think that when/if they do
start advertising in print-magazines, they will join those companies who
support AGA and TAG.

I am ALWAYS trying to get local clubs with plant related interests to tell
us what is going on in their "neck of the woods"  While Aquabotanic isn't
local, and it is in a funny category because it is owned and run by an
entity with commercial interests, it is ALSO a community.  While we are not
interested in giving away free advertising space, I have absolutely no
problem with announcements of a non-commercial nature that generate from
within Aquabotanic.  You don't have to buy anything to enter the AB contest
do you?  Therefore, I think we can safely assume that THIS activity is NOT
commercial in nature.

I don't visit the Aquabotanic BB often, but it's not because I don't like
it.  It seems to be a friendly community of people with a real interest in
planted tanks.  I just don't have the time to spend these days.  Even with
my "old regular" list, the APD, I only find the time to "drop in"
occasionally.  Again, it's not a lack of interest, just a lack of time.
There are many AGA members that I like and respect, both as aquarists and as
people, who frequent the AB boards.  Since I value the opinions of these
people, I have to assume it's a worthwhile place to spend time!

All that said, I had a conversation with a beginning aquatic gardener just
last week.  This person wanted to know a "safe" place to ask questions about
his tank.  I told him that the AGA members' list was that kind of place.  I
told him we had been remarkably free of strife and controversy.  PLEASE help
me prove to him that I was right! :-)

Karen