[AGA Member] Re: Marsilea carpets

My experience has been pretty much in step with your responses.  I've had
great-looking carpets that I maintained with meticulous work (and rosey
barbs)  and I've had problems.  Around Christmas I redid the aquascape in my
150, tore out the marsilea carpet and replanted.  Yesterday I tore it out
again.  It was pretty much choked with a cottony hair algae and the algae
spread from the carpet to other plants in the tank.  I think that tank is
just too large for me to maintain a marsilea carpet.

Incidentally -- also in right in line with some comments -- given enough
light and CO2 marsilea is not very slow-growing.  At the beginning of January
I had a few sprigs planted.  Yesterday I took out about 2 square feet of
"sod."  That was even after taking about 1/3 of it out in late January for a
small rearrangement.

I also have lilaeopsis in the tank, and it seems to be less prone to algae
problems.  It is also a little easier to clean up than marsilea but also more
easily damaged than marsilea.  Lilaeopsis doesn't seem to be as popular as it
was a few years ago.  Any idea why?

I haven't grown dwarf hair grass yet;  I have E. montevidenses and have in
the distant past grown E. vivipara.  Maybe if the Lilaeopsis doesn't work out
I'll try hair grass.

Thanks all.

Roger Miller