Re: [AGA Member] Re: Marsilea carpets

In a message dated 3/28/04 10:18:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, roger@spinn.net
writes:
Lilaeopsis doesn't seem to be as popular as it
was a few years ago.  Any idea why?
I've been wondering the same thing myself because I remember when people
would pay top  dollar and perhaps even kill to have a carpet of Lilaeopsis. Maybe
the newness wore off since it's been around and available longer than Glosso,
Elatine, Marsilea, or the truly dwarf forms of Hairgrass.

I still think it looks fabulous myself, but I've had it get choked with gunk
and algae just like all the rest.

I haven't grown dwarf hair grass yet;  I have E. montevidenses and have in
the distant past grown E. vivipara.  Maybe if the Lilaeopsis doesn't work out
I'll try hair grass.
Hairgrass can get choked too, but it's not as noticeable when it does -- the
base just looks darker. The individual blades are so thin that not much can
really grow on them.

Bob Olesen

multipart/alternative
  text/html