[AGA Member] Anubias and Anubis the god

Hi,

I am a new member, working at a university in the psychology department. As
soon as I entered the e-mail group I faced with the discussion on the
announcement of AB contest. It was an interesting topic for me to follow and
discover the AGA group dynamics.

For an article on Anubias species I try to find the origin of the name
"Anubias". Kasselmann writes on the etymology section that the word comes
from the Egyptian god Anubias. I have red quite a bit about Anubis, the
Egyptian god of the underworld but could not find any connection between
them except possibly an absurd thing. While looking at the pictures of both
emersal form of Anubias afzelii and god Anubis I noticed that the upward
leaves are just like Anubis' upward ears. Addititionally if one pushes
himself to see the rizome section as  Anubis' nose then it can be said they
are similar in their appearance. But of course this similarity depends on
your imagination and may not be so rational.

Any idea or scientific info about why a god name was given to a plant
species?

Faruk

Faruk Gencoz, Ph.D.

Department of Psychology