Re: [AGA Member] Anubias and Anubis the god

In a message dated 3/30/2004 4:00:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
fgencoz@metu.edu.tr writes:

> Any idea or scientific info about why a god name was given to a plant
> species?

I always assumed it was only because both came from the African continent,
and the person naming the plant probably wanted a recognizably African name.

That's really a bit of a stretch though, since the Egyptian God Anubias was
worshiped in a society far to the North and east and in an entirely different
river system than the plant from west equatorial Africa.

Your comparison of the physical similarities between images of the God and
the shape of the plant does give me reason to reconsider my original assumption.
Anubias hastifolia and gracilis, with their tri-sagitate leaves, do look a
bit canine in appearance. The front leaf blade could be pictured as a dog like
muzzle/nose and the two, upturned, rear lobes make a fair representation of
twin, pointed, upright dog ears.

Its really best to ask some German authority, Bogner, Kasselmann etc., who
might be far more familiar with the history of this plant and it's introduction
to the European Botanical community via Germany (I believe).

If you find out anything, please tell us here.

Bob Olesen <--------- far from a plant-God himself, having sent many an easy
to grow Anubia to the underworld.

multipart/alternative
  text/html