RE: [AGA Member] Light in deep tanks

Hi,

There are some factors that we need to take into account for answering your question, actuall Scott mentioned pretty much most of them -I would like to point out one factor that we should *not* take into account - and I would like a feedback for that from this distinguished community.

I am referring to the attenuation of light as it deeps through the water.

My understanding is that once light crosses the surface it behaves according to the beer-lambert law:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/sci/chem/tutorials/molspec/beers1.htm

P=P0 * e ^(-ebc)

Where
P is the intensity
P0 is the intensity at the water surface
e is the molar absorbtivity with units of L mol-1 cm-1
b is the path length of the sample - that is, the path length of the cuvette in which the sample is contained. We will express this measurement in centimetres.
c is the concentration of the compound in solution, expressed in mol L-1

So - yes - the light intensity is decreased exponentially as we go deepr,

But what is the factor?

My best reference so far is figure 6 in this paper

http://www.aquabotanic.com/paper2-6.html

It shows that for pure H2O after one meter:
400-50 nm - almost no absorption.
600 nm - 20% absorpion
700 nm - 40% absorption

This is after 100 cm - our tanks are 40-60 cm deep - right?

Now when Karen is describing the amazon water then it's a different story - If I understand correctly - it is either deeper or browner...

So depth isn't such a big factor putting aside reflections, shading, etc.

Now one favor - in order to close this issue once and for all - has any one came across a table that describes the Beer coefficients for water and other substances in various wavelengths? I really need it badly... :-)

Thanks,

Aviel.