From: owner-aga-member@thekrib.com [mailto:owner-aga-member@thekrib.com] On
Behalf Of Steve Pushak
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 4:36 AM
To: aga-member@thekrib.com
Subject: RE: [AGA Member] Fluorescent Reflectors efficiency--reflector study
article

A couple of comments:

1) what are "side panels"? Are these reflectors placed at the axial ends
of the bulbs?

2) your diagram shows light being emitted from the bulb radially from
the centre of the bulb; it does not. It is emitted diffusely from the
phosphor coating on the inside of the glass. To further reduce restrike,
the area directly above the bulb should be angled more; deepen the V.
Its not going to make a big difference, perhaps 1-2% improvement in
efficiency.

3) do you have any quantitative measures such as exposure/aperture
ratings from an automatic SLR camera? If we had these, and knowing how
absorptive your black backdrop material was, we could estimate the
efficiency of the reflector measured as a percentage of the rated lumens
of the bulb directed into the tank. 40% seems to be "typical" based upon
the limited data I have seen.

Thank you for your information!

Steve P