[AGA Member] Re: AGA Member - Digest V1 #195

I have a big old comet goldfish I rescued after a 4th
grade science demonstration in my daughter's class.
They were showing the circulation of blood in the taul
fin.  I can't keep any snails in with him.  He'll eat
an adult ramshorn.  Sometimes I use lettuce to trap
snails and then just dump them in his tank.  I
understand brackish water puffers crunch snails nicely
if you have that sort of tank.  Can't remember but I
think they are hard on plants too.

Anyway, we got the comet about 15 years ago and the
kids are quite fond of him.  They recently found a 55
gallon leaker for me and if I can patch that leak
he'll have a new home.  I've never been successful in
keeping any plants with him in the too small 20, but
I'm thinking that with pea gravel or river rock on top
of the substrate, I might be able to curb his gravel
moving.  I'd like to try to plant the 55 and dress it
up a bit.  So, beyond the gravel moving, are there any
plants you think will be tough enough to stand up to a
mature comet's appetite?  The tank, of course, is
unheated, but should stay above sixty degrees most
likely, although upper fifties could happen at times.